Suggest remedy for severe headaches when on Keppra

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: My 63yo sister has been on Keppra for 4 years. Her latest blood test was 61.1. Her doctor told her that wasn't high. Anything over 46.1 is high. She is having severe pains in the head which gets worse at night. WHY? The doctor lowered her dose two weeks ago when her blood test was 64. Is this a withdrawal pain or should she go to emergency?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Brain imaging needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

Headache may be a side effect of Keppra use, but it is not a prominent symptom.

Your sister is still using Keppra, so this is not a withdrawal symptom.

Blood levels are moderately high outside the standard level, and in my opinion, they will improve gradually after dose reduction.

I think your sister needs appropriate medical evaluation about her headache causes.

In my opinion, headaches should be investigated further about their cause. I can mention a few of possible causes: high blood pressure, tension headache, any cerebral lesion.

A imaging study of the brain (MRI) in this moment is indispensable.

Hope this helps.I remain at your disposal for further questions and clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 4 minutes later
Thank you. Good advice!
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Wishing good health for you and your sister.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical