Suggest remedy for severe gum recession

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Dental Health
Question: Hi I am in a lot of pain. I have a tooth that has complete root exposed from gum disease and it has started throbbing at the end by the gum! But not the actual tooth, just the gum and it's getting worse. what should I do? Can't see my dentist until Monday.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems like severe gum recession.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns...

As per your complain as the root is exposed, it seems that there is gum recession due to severe gum infection and pain is also due to infection in gums..

As of now to relieve pain you can take a higher painkiller like TRAMADOL, that can relieve moderate to severe pain conditions..
Amoxicillin can be continued to reduce infection and desensitizing tooth paste should be applied 2 to 3 times a day..

This is for temporary relief..

Once you can get back to your dentist he/she can advise you a full mouth x Ray known as ORTHOPANTOMOGRAM (OPG) to rule out the condition of teeth,gums and the underlying alveolar bone that holds the roots of teeth as there might be other areas also where there might be gum recession and bone erosion secondary to infection and it can lead to loosening and fall of teeth..

So initially Scaling and curettage will be done followed by antibiotics, painkillers and topical application of gum paint, desensitizing tooth paste and antimicrobial mouthwash gargles and after seeing the recovery after 15 days further treatment like Periodontal Surgery can be thought of if there is requirement..

Any further questions are most welcome..

Wishing you a Good Health..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D