Suggest remedy for severe ear and jaw pain

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Jaw pain and ear pain. Have a cold but just coughing now.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
TMJ disorder

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Jaw and ear pain is usually due to temperomandibular joint disorder where the back of the jaw where it connects to the skull is affected. Please visit an ENT doctor followed by a dentist for this problem.

Coughing when one has cold is because of post nasal drip, where mucous goes back into the throat. Cold can also make the ear pain worse. Here is what you should do

1. Tab Paracetamol is ideal for the pain. It can be taken three times a day for 3 days
2. Steam inhalations three times a day for cold
3. Tab Levocetrizine twice a day gives relief from cold and cough

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 minutes later
I also have neck pain and shoulder pain. Sometimes tingling feeling in head .
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Generalized body ache

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Coughing can cause neck and shoulder pain. If you do not have fever then I recommend you to take a cough suppressant like Linctus codeine for it.
If these symptoms are there for more than 2 weeks then I suggest you to undergo blood tests like

1. Complete blood count
2.X ray of cervical spine and chest

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 22 minutes later
I had a xray done at chiropractor c1 and c5 with cerere disturbance. What foes that mean
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cervical spondylosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back with the clarifications. Severe disturbance in is c1 and c5 is the reason behind your pain. Nerve supplying our body arise from the spine, any disturbance in the spine leads to pinching of the nerve causing radiation of pain.
I recommend you to meet a spinal surgeon and continue treatment with chiropractor. Tab Baclofen usually works wonderfully in such type of pain, please ask your doctor for a prescription