Suggest remedy for severe depression

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Dear Sir, Problem 1: I get irritated very quickly, Problem 2: I get stressed out very quickly, my thoughts goes negative and wilder and results is sickness. for example if I get call from unknown number I feel someone is calling to threaten me kill me. I don't feel like interacting with people, Problem 3: I don't like my parents as they continuously interfere with my life, Problem 4: Sometimes I feel like one day if i can't bear my anxiety stress and problems i will commit suicide. Problem 5: I am a professional but i am afraid of new clients.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms suggest depression so evaluation is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries

I can understand your concern. Your main symptoms are irritability, negative thoughts, getting stressed out easily, excesses worries even on minor things like getting a call from unknown number, poor social interaction, difference of opinion with parents, feelings that you might commit suicide, difficulties in work etc. A lot of individuals have some of these symptoms at any time in their life and usually these symptoms improve with time. But if these symptoms persist or cause significant distress to individuals and result in difficulties in social, personal and occupational life then this points towards some psychological problems more specifically depression.

In mild to moderate depression such symptoms are seen commonly. Though the classical symptoms of depression like low mood, lack of interest in day to day routine, lack of energy etc are not there still such symptoms point towards depression. Suspiciousness or getting afraid of things can also occur in depression. Fear when someone calls could occur due to anxiety.

Please don't remain distressed due to these symptoms and visit a psychiatrist for help. For depressive symptoms medicines like SSRIs are used commonly. Sertraline, Fluoxetine, Paroxetine etc are used commonly. These medicines will help to reduce the symptoms like irritability, lack of social interaction, fear, negative thoughts, bad thoughts etc. In most individuals symptoms respond to medicines in about 4 weeks and symptoms start reducing progressively. So please don't ignore these symptoms, visit a psychiatrist for help.

Try to remain relaxed. Relaxation exercises, yoga etc help to reduce the anxiety. Have healthy food rich in proteins, complex carbs and low in fats. Take vitamin B12 supplements, Omega 3 Fatty Acid supplements regularly and this will help you to come out of depression.

Thanks, Hope this helps you. Please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.