Suggest remedy for severe coughing

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 15 year old son is sufferring from severe coughing. He has been presecribed benadryl but that is ineffective. He hasn't been able to sleep properly since past three days due to coughing. Please help
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
needs clinical examination

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.

Cough that has not been controlled for 3 days on benadryl needs to be evaluated clinically.
The possibilities include only viral urti, throat infection, allergic cough or chest infection.

To identify you need a clinical consultation and tests like throat swab if indicated.

Antibiotics like amoxicillin may be required if bacterial infection is identified.

Nebulisations with bronchidilators will be helpful if there is wheezing on auscultation .

Wishing him speedy recovery.

Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari