Suggest remedy for severe cough, sore throat and difficulty breathing

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am not sure whether or not to be worried about a virus or cold that I have. My cough is the most worrisome thing. I started to have a sore throat on Thursday, and I have felt awful since then. My cough started to be productive but has stopped being so, and my breathing is labored with a wheezing cough. Do I need to just wait this out or is a doctor visit (or emergency visit necessary)? I'm not sure whether or not antibiotics will help me. Please advise. Thank you.
My nose has not stopped running in three days, despite the Flonase. My head feels heavy. I have taken Trazodone at night (1 tablet 50 mg) for sleep as well as 2 Melatonin (3 mg each). I have been drinking a lot of fluids, but I am worried about my lungs. I am not a smoker.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will prefer you visiting the doctor...

Detailed Answer:

Based on the progress of your symptoms (sorethroat - cough - wheezing / breathing difficulty), you seem to have developed bronchitis +/- lower respiratory tract infection. I am not sure if you are running fever too. But irrespective of whether or not you are febrile, I will recommend you visiting the doctor or the ER if possible. This seems to be a virulent virus or a bacterial infection and I want this to be addressed at the earliest.

In other words, the progress of symptoms and the current condition are concerning. And therefore I will not recommend you waiting at home. You need to be examined. You will need some blood test, throat swab and a chest X-ray.

Hope I am clear. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 15 minutes later
Thank you for the advice, Dr. XXXXXXX What do you think they will do for me? I am willing to go. I have just heard that with a virus, there aren't medications which can fix it. Is that true?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Investigate, evaluate and medicate.

Detailed Answer:
As I mentioned earlier you need to be examined and investigated. Had I been your doctor, I will order a blood count, perform a throat swab and order for a chest X-ray after a detailed chest and throat examination.

Based on the severity of breathing difficulty, I with treat you with bronchodilator with or without a steroid either through a nebulizer machine or intravenous administration.

Yes, there are no medications to treat most virus. However we have a few antiviral agents like oseltamavir that are used to treat some virulent influenza virus. Moreover you will definitely need symptomatic drugs until active infection abates.

Hope this answered all your question. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask before closing discussion.