Suggest remedy for severe cough in a diabetic patient

Dr. BR Hudda

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My mother aged 80 years has an incessant cough which is affecting her quality of life. The cough does not produce any sputum of any sort. It is totally a dry cough. She has post nasal drip always and has headache. She has chronic diabetes, FBS ranges between 130 to 145 and PPBS ranges from 220 to 240. Her chest x-rays were all clear recently, ECG had slight variation. Otherwise normal. Weight 49 kg, height 4'.9"
Kindly advice a remedy to control the cough. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
steam inhalation and Azelastine nasal spray.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I really appreciate your concern for your mother
Since her doctor has already told that this cough is not related to the heart or lung disease so you need not to worry
Please follow these guidelines
Steam inhalation with eucalyptus oil.
Gargling with warm saline water or antiseptic mouth wash
Deep breathing exercises

Anti allergic drug like levocetirizine or fexofenadine to relieve allergy and post nasal drip.
Azelastine or xylometazoline nasal spray to relieve nasal congestion and post nasal drip.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to ask for follow up
Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T