Suggest remedy for severe cough and cold in a child

Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 4 Jan 2016 in Child Health
Question: my daughter is 5 years old she is always suffering from cold and cough whenever there is a season change or she drinks any cold drink eats ice cream she gets cold and cough throughout the year she is well only for 4 months kindly guide me what should i do
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid some food items and increase immunity

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
I have read your question in detail and I know that you are very concerned about your child but don't worry about it.

If a child of 5 years gets cold off and on, then it means that the child has low immunity and is more prone to temperature changes than other children.
In my opinion, you should follow some precautions like
- avoid cold drinks
- avoid ice creams
- avoid fried foods from outside
- add few drops of lemon juice in every meal, it contains vitamin c and increases immunity of child.
- give a multivitamin syrup for 1 month.
- avoid food items which lead to increase in symptoms.

In my opinion, you should do complete blood count with esr levels in child, it will guide us about need for any medication that needs to be given.

I would also like to know that whether she has wheezing episodes and does it requires nebulisation.
I also want to the exact weight of child.

Revert back with above questions.

I hope this will help you.
Wishing your child good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 3 days later
the weight of my child is 21 kg and she has never used nebulizer about the report it will come tommorow
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably allergic rhinitis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again to HCM.
Since, weight of child is appropriate for age and there is no need of nebulisation till now so chances of asthma are very rare.
There are more chances of allergic rhinitis due to which the child has frequent cough and cold episodes.
Let's wait till the results come, if it comes to be allergic then we have to give antiallergic medicine for some days.