Suggest remedy for severe back pain in a person with multiple herniated discs

Posted on Mon, 4 Jan 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi. I am a 50 year old female who has been discharged from two hospitals this year as they are no longer able to manage my back pain (or they don't know what to do with me). The longer I was on their books without success made their stats look poor - poor stats, less government money.
I have had 15 diagnosed herniated discs since I was 23. For sixteen years I was having caudal epidurals/nerve blocks/radio frequency etc until my consultant retired. These injections helped to control the constant pain at a level where I could still work. The consultant I was then referred to did two lots of radio frequency eight weeks apart and I burst another disc getting out of the hospital bed and stayed there then for another nine days. During that stay earlier this year I had leg constant leg twitches. My knees lifted off the bed and my whole body would twitch usually resulting in me yelling out as it pulled on my back. My question is: what causes these twitches? I did have a very quick MRI when in hospital but I just couldn't keep still as the twitches were frequent and my knees kept banging and scraping on the inside of the machine The consultant, unbeknown to me, was watching me in the scanner and called a halt to the procedure. The scan was deemed inconclusive and I was discharged from the hospital and his clinic altogether. I have been hospitalised four times in the last twelve months due to such severe pain I couldn't manage at home even with morphine. Reading on the Internet, I think I have spinal instability. (The last ct scan in July after falling down some steps showed osteophytes on c6/7/8 with degenerative discs at T8, L3/4/5 and S1.) My GP wants to help me but the hospitals keep turning me away.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Only epidurals or nerve block can help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
The violent twitches that you have are related to sudden discharge of neurons from the spinal cord. This can be related to the multiple herniated discs and ruptured disc.
Such severe pain can only be controlled with epidurals or nerve blocks. Any oral medication is not likely to give you enough relief. This needs an in patient care. You need to talk to your physician regarding proper referrals.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
Thank you for your quick reply.
The spinal unit in one hospital have discharged me and the Royal Surrey County Hospital say they won't do any injections as I've had "far more injections at another hospital than we are allowed to do". They also don't have a spinal unit. My GP referred me to the National Orthopaedic Hospital which took a day to get to to be told I was too depressed to do anything with! I was so angry, it made me feel suicidal for months to think that nowhere seems to want to help me. I have been unable to work for eight months and I would have to sell my house to go privately or to go abroad.
The Venlefaxine has helped my mood and I feel normal again now.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Strong muscle relaxants can add to some relief.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
The medicines that you are taking are the best options for you. These do offer you partial relief but are the best options for now. In addition to this you can get strong muscle relaxants prescribed.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 12049 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests ,  

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78...

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

188 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction