Suggest remedy for severe back pain and vertigo caused by kidney stone

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015 in General Health
Question: I was breastfeeding my newborn yesterday evening and moved to put my infant down when I got a severe sharp pain in my back (kidney area). I thought I pitched a nerve so I took it easy a bit and it just got worse. I lay in a warm bath and ended up throwing up. It was thick brown. I heaved a few times was fine and lay there. My husband claimed it looked like stomach acid but I didn't have any acidic feeling in my mouth or throat. A few minutes later I threw up again same thing occurred.
I had my husband take me to the ER. In route I started feeling lightheaded and my hands and face started tingling. I got very cold with quite a strong shake/shiver. I threw up again this time it was mostly thin brown with specks. At the ER I threw up another 3 times that each time was less brown and more clear.
The ER physician ordered a CT scan and urine test. I was diagnosed with a 5mm kidney stone that had just left my kidney. HOWEVER, everything I have read today doesn't say brown vomit is a symptom and I am still a bit worried about the matter, yet I did throw up again this morning and it was clear and acidic tasting.

Should I still be worried about this brown vomit I had last night or does the kidney stone explain what happened? The ER EMT when I went to leave stated the brown vomit is very worrisome and mentioned some syndrome that describes the tearing of the throat that causes it when throwing up excessively. YET, I didn't really feel forced or the vomit feel hard to occur until after I was at the ER
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The brown colored vomit may have been from something you had eaten.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I am sorry you are going thru this when you just had a baby!

When there is blood in the stomach, it comes up either as bright red blood (if it is fresh or if there is a lot of it) or has the appearance of coffee grounds (if it has been in the stomach for awhile and the stomach acid has had a chance to change it's appearance).

If blood comes from a tear in the esophagus or throat, it would look bright red. And it would be highly unlikely for this to happen with the first time you vomited - more likely when vomiting repeatedly.

If the vomit is now clear in appearance, it is unlikely that you were throwing up blood yesterday.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.