question-icon

Suggest remedy for severe abdominal cramps after gall bladder removal surgery

Posted on Fri, 4 Dec 2015
Question: My wife had her gall bladder removed three weeks ago and now is suffering from stomach cramps and loose bowel movements shortly after eating. Is this normal and hold long should this persist after surgery?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Infection

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Diarrhea is one of the complications of gallbladder removal. It is bile acid induced and usually stops by itself over varying period of time.
But usually it is not associated with cramps.

Since you have diarrhea associated with cramps, it may not be bile acid induced and could be due to infection. A stool test may be done to confirm it.

She can take a course of metronidazole and probiotics for relief.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr.R.K.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist