Suggest remedy for seizures in an infant

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: This is about my 1 year old daughter. She is quite unwell. Last week on Tuesday (22/9/2015), in the morning while doing her normal activities she suddenly become silent, eyes closing down like deep sleep. And following this she instantly slept, which looked like she fainted. The night previous she had taken Bandi (5 ml) medicinefor worm. The same day she showed similar behavior with vomiting 3-4 times more. Then from Wednesday she was completely alright. Today again she is showing the same thing. We are very much worried, we are confused whether this is Seizure type or happening due to gas. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likley diagnosis is seizures

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

I have noted the symptoms of your daughter. The most likely diagnosis in her case is seizures.

However, further evaluation would be needed. This would include detailed physical examination, Brain scan and EEG.

There are good medications to treat seizures.

The current symptoms are not due to gas.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
What may be cause of Seizure? Since 1 year of birth she has never developed any serious medical condition.

If this is seizure then, will it be cured completely? We are highly worried?

Also please tell us how serious is symptoms showing? We are planning to take her tomorrow for 1 hour Flight to a better hospital in XXXXXXX from Silchar XXXXXXX Is it okay?

Should she be first treated by a child specialist or neurologist ?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seizures can be well treated.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

The cause of seizures in most cases could be idiopathic (due to positive family history) or cryptogenic (unknown).

In some cases, it could be due to high fever or some problems in the brain.

Detailed evaluation would clarify the cause in your daughter.

Seizures can be well treated with medications.

If a Neurologist is available, then, it is better to consult a neurologist.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 days later
Let me describe her situation again, while doing some activities she suddenly stops and stares blank. Sometimes there is a vomiting tendency. Following this she becomes very tired and tries to sleep.
First time in 22/9/2015 morning she did not vomit but she became silent and went into sleep. Please note that, there was no shaking in body or in any body parts.

I have seen some videos in youtube of baby seizures/convulsion where there is notable shaking or abnormality in the baby.

Sir,do you still think it is seziure/convulsion in our case and not may be due to some other reason?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be absence seizures

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I have noted the information provided by you, and based on that, it could be absence seizures or complex partial seizures.

Shaking of body parts occurs in tonic clonic type of seizures.

Prolonged video EEG would help in confirming the diagnosis, when in doubt.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Last week we went through EEG, which mentioned that: " ABNORMAL SLEEP EEG RECORD SHOWS GENERALISED EPILEPTIFORM DISCHARGES".

MRI(brain) was clear which mentioned that:" No significant abnormality is detected in the brain. Both the hippocampi appear normal with no evidence of volume loss and altered signal intensity".

Blood reports for Sodium, potasium, TLC, tsg were absolutely normal.

Now she is taking medicine Valparin 200. Is it Okay for her? She is 1 year old and will she be cured completely in future? Will it affect development in her in mentally and physically?

Please suggest whether the diagnosis is correct or not.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis and treatment are correct.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I have seen the MRI brain, EEG reports and blood reports, which has confirmed epilepsy.

She is on correct medicine too, with which her seizures would get controlled.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)