• question-icon

Suggest remedy for scar tissues on the penis shaft

Posted on Fri, 25 Sep 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Is scar tissue(i.e. the one that is formed after a surgical removal of a wart) more permeable to STDS like Herpes or AIDS in comparison to normal healthy tissue?

BTW the scar is at the penis shaft(the upper side, 1 inch away from my groin area[where the penis connects with the rest of the body]).
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A healed scar does not increase risk of acquiring an STD through it

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have taken note of your query and I have understood your concern.

A healed scar tissue in genital region does not increase chances of acquiring an STD through it. The chances remain the same as they are for intact skin.
Intact skin Or intact scar is anyways impermeable to Hiv. Genital herpes can nevertheless be acquired by skin to skin contact with an infected sexual partner.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
I have another question. Is the chance of getting and std trough the scrotum skin the same as the skin on the penis shaft?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Scrotum can be a site of an STD like herpes, warts and syphilitic sore

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

During sexual intercourse, base of penile shaft, adjacent pubic skin and base of scrotum can all be possibly exposed to an STI via skin to skin contact with an infected sexual partner and can also come into contact with infected genital secretions of sexual partner even with a condom protected sex because a condom covers only the anterior part of shaft of penis and leaves a lot of genital skin e.g base of penile shaft, pubic skin and scrotum exposed for direct skin to skin contact as well as contact with infected genital secretions and therefore there is a chance of STDs like herpes, molluscum contagiosum and Hpv at base of scrotum. Even syphilis can be acquired through scrotal skin if infected vaginal secretions come in contact with base of scrotum. The bacteria causing syphilis can penetrate intact skin of base of penile shaft as well as scrotum.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist