Suggest remedy for ring like formation on the harline

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Doctor, I have a serious scalp problem that started 15 years ago with a red ring at my temple. Half of the ring was exposed and the other half was hidden under my hair line. The rings are a little smaller than a wedding ring. There is hard crusty flaking, itching and when I scratch the thick hard flakes, there is red bloody painful scalp. The blood covers my finger tips after scratching and the blood saturates my hair. Over the next 15 years it slowly spread over my entire head, eyebrows and center of my chest (where the chest hair is the thickest). At times I can see red rings on my chest (perfect red circles). My family doctor gave me DurmaSmooth which helped at first but became less effective over time. I used stronger doses and different prescription steroid scalp oils over the years (tried 3 or 4 different ones - including DurmaSmooth and Ketaconazole in different strengths). I am presently using Fluocinolone Acetonide .01% oil. All of these help for a time, but then are less effective. The scalp oils are messy, hard to use, burn my eyes and interrupt my sleep. I went to a Dermatologist and she did no testing and said I just had a flaky scalp problem and gave me some samples of Elidel for eyebrows and Taclonex. Honestly I didn't' try the samples because the samples were so small they would not have done much on my problem that covered such a large area and I was warned that they were very expensive. She gave no explaination for the red rings. Do you have any ideas on what my condition is and is there anything that will cure it, or be more helpful and less messy than steroid hair oils ? Thanks very much, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send details of the query.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the scalp condition and I am empathetic for the same.

After analyzing your query with best diligence I can make out possibility of Psoriasis capitis or Seborrhoea capitis.

Both of these conditions are quite commonly encountered and appears almost similar with resistance to usual treatments.

In view to help you best I request you to kindly provide certain details of the condition.

- Is the condition continuously present for 15 years or you had remission or improvement in the condition any time in between.

- what is the intensity of itching. Is it mild or moderate or severe.

- Do you see silvery scales or greasy scales over scalp or any other area of body.

- Do you see any redness of scalp.

- Any other important thing worth sharing in order to help in best diagnosis and proper guidance of the condition. Or any other medical conditions or medications other than your skin condition.

It would be best if you can send few good resolution pictures of the affected area. For that you have a feature on the right side of the page.

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,
Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina