Suggest remedy for reduced frequency of urination in infants

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi, My 2.5 month old baby has got reduced frequency of urination. Earlier he used to urinate at least twice during every three hour feed. But it now he takes at least 6 to 8 hours before peeing. We took him to the doctor for checkup, and the doctor asked us to feed him with ORS. However, the baby is refusing to take the ORS solution. He cries a lot if we try to feed him the ORS, and he tries to spit it out himself before swallowing. His lips do appear to be a little dried up though. He is only on breast feeding and appears to be asking for more milk every hour or so. Please suggest what could be done.

Thanks & Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please answer the questions below

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

I understand your concern. I have a few questions and will suggest few possibilities.

Questions:
1. What was the birth weight and what is the current weight?
2. How is the attaining of developmental milestones?
3. Is the stool oily and floats in the pan?
4. Is there any color change in the hair or skin?
5. Is there any history of recurrent serious infections?
6. What is the volume of urine which he is passing?
7. Is there any profuse diarrhea or blood in the motion?

Please get back to me with answers so that I will be able to guide you better.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

Please find below the answers for the questions you had asked.
Birth weight = 3.2 Kgs, Current weight = 5.05 Kgs (ten days back, his weight was 5.2 Kgs)

We have been going to the doctor for monthly vaccinations, and he has been examining him. The developmental milestones are normal.

Stool is fine, yellow in colour, not so solid and not so liquid. Basically, there is no change in the stool quality, quantity or colour.

No, there is no color changes in hair or skin.

No, no infections at all.

He is passing urine in small quantities, in yellowish colour.

No. no blood or diarrhea symptoms.

Thanks & Regards,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your baby's weight gain is more than appropriate - don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi....your baby's weight gain is more than appropriate and you say development is normal. So please do not worry about the urine output as of now.

Do not give ORS for low urine output. It is not an approved indication for diarrhea as there is no diarrhea here. Sweating is not an indication for using ORS.

FEED the baby with exclusive breast feeds for another 24 hours. If the urine output is still low - I suggest that you take these following test for the baby -

1. Blood urea.
2. Serum Creatinine.
3. Serum Electrolytes.
4. Ultrasound abdomen and kidneys.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth