Suggest remedy for redness and swelling on wrist after tattooing

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I had a tattoo done on the 14th on my wrist, within two hours noticed redness and swelling. Within 12 hours it spread beyond the tattoo, swelling my wrist up to triple the size, angry redness along with a lovely line going up towards my elbow. Saw a doctor on the 15th, prescribed fucidic acid 3 X a day and Teva-Clozacillin 500mg 4 X a day. (Both were started about 1500 on the 15th)

The swelling is down, but there is still redness that goes away, but returns with a vengeance. The doc I saw did say to go into the ER if the pain becomes more than I can deal with (Its not, its sore, and annoying) or if a line continued to develop. (There is no line per se... there is a definite block of red that is travelling up my arm every time the redness returns. The red areas are warm, but not radiating heat and my entire forearm is slightly tender to touch.

I suppose I am wondering if I should be concerned and head to my ER, or wait for another day to see if the antibiotics gear up and kick butt.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It looks like Cellulitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I saw the pic.
As per your description, it looks like Cellulitis. Local rise of temperature with redness goes in favour of it.
The block of red that is travelling up is Lymphangitis. The infection is spreading up through lymphatic channel.
I prescribe Antibiotic like Clindamycin capsule 600mg thrice daily along with anti inflammatory tablet to my patients with similar complaints. I also add Antihistamine tablet for allergic reaction.If there is no response, I replace Clindamycin with Linezolid tablet. I prefer Antibiotic like Cloxacillin for minor infections.
Keep the affected limb elevated.
I don't think Antibiotics that you are taking will reduce the redness. Hence, I request you to consult your doctor, preferably General surgeon for good and effective Antibiotics.
Nothing to worry. It will come down.
Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon