Suggest remedy for red swelling on the underside of tongue

Dr. Priyanka Tiwari

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 13 Mar 2015 in Dental Health
Question: Hi there,

Just this past week I noticed a small red bump/swelling on the underside of my tongue. It doesn't hurt, but I'm surprised it hasn't gone away by now. It looks like it has a white-ish tip with a black dot.

I drink, but I don't smoke. I'm a 28 year old female.

Is it just a blocked salivary gland or does it look like something else?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
inflammation of sublingual salivary gland

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for consulting healthcare magic .
This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query .

Read your query and gone through images you have attached. As far as I have observed, this swelling can be due to inflammation of sublingual salivary gland as sublingual gland is located under floor of mouth .

Salivary gland infection is somewhat common, this swelling can be due to bacterial infection or due to blockage of gland.

For this I will suggest you some easy self care remedies that you can practice at home :
- Maintain good oral hygiene.
-Do warm saline rinses 2 -3 times a day which helps in reducing swelling .
-Drink lots of water in order to keep mouth moist .
-use sugar free lemon drops to increase flow of saliva.
-Dont drink alcohol .

You can do self care remedies at home , if it isn't better then I will suggest you to consult oral surgeon for visual examination and investigation xray to rule out cause .

Hope I have answered your query .
If you have further query I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E