Suggest remedy for red rashes on rectum and groin area while treating psoriasis

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 4 Jan 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I HAVE A RED RASH FROM MY RECTOM UP BOTH SIDES OF MY GROIN. I DO HAVE PSORIASIS BUT I DONT THINK THAT IS IT .
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possibly intertrigo

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that it is intertrigo.

This refers to inflammation to the skin folds. It can occur in any areas of the body where there is friction/moisture/heat from body folds coming into contact with each other.

The inflamed area can become infected by fungal or/and bacterial infection in some cases.

In addition to the steroid cream for a short time, you may want to try the following:
(1)when possible at home the folds should be separated by cotton or linen material to reduce friction
(2)use barrier protection agents such as zinc based creams or petrolatum to further reduce friction
(3)consider the use an antifungal powder (would treat the fungus if present and would not add to heat)

There are some combination meds such as XXXXXXX goo- contains nystatin antifungal powder, hydrocortisone powder and zinc oxide paste

It may be best to see your doctor so that the rash can be assessed and appropriately treated.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions