• question-icon

Suggest remedy for recurrent hemorrhoids

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Genetics
Question: Hi Doctor,
I think I have Piles and I am taking pilex tablets and ointment to cure it. I can feel the size has decreased. During bowels I can feel something is inside and have pain too with blood. I am using a cone like thing to put ointment inside my anal and I can feel some reduction in that feeling. My question is do I need to go for a surgery or it can be cured by medications only? Secondly, I have itching near my anal area. When I scratch that area some sort of liquid comes out. After itching I feel pain for some seconds and burning sensation too. Is it because of piles or some other reason? Is there any home remedy which can help me in getting rid of it?
I have piles from long and I am using Pilex since then. It will go in sometime but come again if I eat spicy food. This is the first time I am getting blood in large amount during my bowel. I am scared of surgery. I want medication to treat it not surgery.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may try these home remedies for relief

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand your concerns but don't worry. Fortunately, there are a number of home remedies that are as effective and provides fast relief. You may take these measures to get relief from piles:
1.Cold compress: A cold compress will help the hemorrhoids to shrink and become small in size. It will reduce pain and provide instant relief from itching. It will be easier to pass stools once swelling is reduced. Wrap some ice in a clean cloth and apply it directly over the hemorrhoids. Doing this several times, a day will help to constrict the blood vessels and reduce hemorrhoids effectively.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar: ure and natural apple cider vinegar is highly beneficial in treating the condition. For external hemorrhoids, take a cotton ball and soak it with apple cider vinegar. Apply it directly on the hemorrhoids for an instant relief. Please note that applying it directly may cause a stinging sensation for some time but that will decrease itching and pain instantly. For internal hemorrhoids, consuming a teaspoon of vinegar with water, may provide relief from pain and bleeding.
3. Psyllium husk: Hard stools may worsen your hemorrhoids causing more bleeding and pain. Psyllium husk is crammed with fiber, which makes stools softer and eases its movements. Consuming it regularly may help in reducing stress in the swollen veins providing it time to heal.
4. Soaking: Soaking yourself in a tub of warm water may provide instant relief from pain and itching and cause the blood vessels to relax. You may soak the inflamed area for 15 -20 minutes in warm but not hot water. Wipe the area gently using a wet towel so not to dry it. Doing it regularly helps in reducing hemorrhoids effectively.
5 Hydration:dryness may aggravate hemorrhoids and may cause excessive bleeding. Never use a dry tissue to wipe the affected area as it may cause unwanted scratches that can worsen the swollen vessels. Instead use a non-perfumed, non-medicated wet tissue to wipe off without drying out your skin. You may also place vitamin E capsules in the opening of the anus to sooth the area and re-hydrate it.
6 Witch hazel:Apply a little amount of witch XXXXXXX regularly in the inflamed area for long relief from the problem.
7. Aloe Vera: For internal hemorrhoids, cut stripes of the aloe vera leave discarding all the thorns and freeze it. Apply it on the inflamed area for the double action of a cold compress along with a reduction in inflammation. For external ones, just apply the gel extracted from aloe leaves to soothe and hydrate the swollen veins.
8. Tea tree oil: Since it is very strong, it should always be diluted by mixing it with a carrier oil. Add one or two drops of tea tree oil with a carrier oil like castor oil or sweet almond oil and apply it directly over the inflamed area with the help of a clean cotton swab. Doing this regularly will shrink the hemorrhoids until it cures completely. Other essential oils that may have a healing effect are lavender essential oil and XXXXXXX essential oil.
9. Lemon Juice:The antioxidants present in lemons help in curing the condition. Apply it directly on the inflamed area or consume lemon juice with ginger with honey to reap the nutrition benefits of the fruit for reducing pain and inflammation.
10. Olive oil: Consuming small amounts of olive oil with food on a regular basis may improve the functionality of the bowel movement due to the presence of monosaturated fatty acids in olive oil.

Besides, a few lifestyle changes like drinking more water and maintaining proper hygiene will assist you to get rid of hemorrhoids fast. Never hold in stools, as it may worsen the condition and delay the treatment. Always wear comfortable clothes to reduce irritation due to hemorrhoids.

You may use Clotrimazole lotion for relief from perianal itching which can be due to fungal infection.
Hopefully it will be of help.
Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician