• question-icon

Suggest remedy for recurrent fever in a 6 year old

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Child Health
Question: My son - 19 kg, 6 years 3 months old, having fever since saturday night 19th..Fever reaches 103 F. Monday doctor told he has got a throat infection and gave sporidex - 4ml.Fever comes back every 4 hours. So he suggested 5ml CROCIN DS + 5 ml Meftal P (crocin at 6 hours interval and meftal at 8 hours interval). is it advisable to give like this.. if fever is doesn't subsides by tomorrow , we will be going for a test.
Any help would be very much appreciable.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be due to a viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Please be patient, as even if it is due to a bacteria, irrespective of use of antibiotics, it should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days. steam inhalation to your child. Gurgling with lukewarm water is the mainstay of treatment and should provide relief. You need to give paracetamol (Crocin DS) to bring down the temperature. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Meftal-P [mefenamic acid] which is more effective. However, I do not think that they need to be used simultaneously. Also use tepid sponging. Giving some antiallergic like cetirizine will take care of the runny nose.

The fever is unlikely to subside by tomorrow. You need to be patient. However you are free to investigate.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician