Suggest remedy for presence of mucus after bowel movement

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: after a bowel movement which is always large and hard. I always have a large amount of discharge that
I have to continually have clean with baby wipes. All this and its always there no matter how many times
I clean myself. Its even present when I wake in of a morning. I just can't understand what causes this to
every day or night.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mucus.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

This discharge is nothing more than a mucus. It is constantly produced by intestinal cells to help with stool passage. Usually, when there is no problem with large intestine and there is no constipation, this mucus is invisible.
However if it appears, can be a symptom of large intestine polyp or even colon cancer.
That is why I suggest you to do not ignore it. Please consult your doctor and have colonoscopy done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.