• question-icon

Suggest remedy for petechiae rash on feet and legs

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a petechiae rash on my feet up my legs and it in now developing under my arms. I was really sick last week with a cold virus and still have bronchitis. I just started noticing it on my legs 2 days ago and now noticied it under my arms today. I also have dishydrodic eczema on my feet and knees which is now very purple in color. I take medication for anxiety and just started taking a Zpack and Flonase. Will the rash go away on its own or do I need to seek medical attention and if so how soon?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload a few images

Detailed Answer:
Hrllo. Thsnk ypu for writing to us.

I am dr.kakkar(dermatologist). I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern

I would keep a possibility of cutaneous small vessel vasculitis which can present with petechiae and palpable purpura on lower legs. Etiology could be infection or drugs.

Do you have other symptoms like joint pains, swelling in legs, fever or abdominal pain?

I request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected area so that i am able to guide you better. You may upload images either at "Reports Section" or you may mail me at attachments @healthcaremagic.com with the subject line of this mail as Attention:Dr.kakkar.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 minutes later
I have no pain or swelli
n
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest symptomatic treatment (tablet cetrizine) and a few blood tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thank you. I have reviewed the Images.

I can see a shower of purpura. It is small vessel vasculitis (SVV). This can be due to a preceding infection i.e cold or bronchitis or may be due to drugs/ medications. Pathogenesis is immune complex deposition in vessel wall.

You need to take symptomatic treatment for this rash. I would suggest you to take a tablet of cetrizine 10 mg once daily for a few days. Most of the cases of SVV with only cutaneous involvement with usually resolve in a few days without any consequences. There might be a few recurrences however.

However, since vasculitis can involve small vessels elsewhere in the body therefore ideally a patient with cutaneous SVV should be investigated for systemic small vessel involvement in intenal organs too. I would suggest a few blood tests like complete blood count, Urine routine microscopy and urine protein, Liver and kidney function tests, ASO titres, ANA, Serum complement levels and XXXXXXX

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist