Suggest remedy for persistent vomiting during pregnancy

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor XXXXXXX

I am XXXXXXX 29 Year old and currently pregnant - in the 4th month (currently in the 17th week of pregnancy) - I am concerned because my vomitings are not going down - I feel very heavy and vomit on a daily basis - currently i am taking the following tablets - Livogen XT (For Iron), Folvite 5 mg (For Folic Acid), Calcimax Forte (For Calcium) & I am also taking the Baby and Me Milk powder (Nestle) with milk once a day (at morning) - I have heard vomitings and nausea go away after the 3rd month however I am vomiting daily and it makes me feel very weak and tired. Please help me.. I have tried DOXENATE for vomiting once - but cannot take it regularly... please help me .. is this normal or is everything ok?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Vomiting and nausea usually stops by 12 weeks of pregnancy, but in some patients, it continues for throughout the pregnancy.
However, other causes of excessive vomiting, especially the liver disease should be ruled out.
I will suggest her to get her liver function test and ultrasound of the liver done, if normal then it is the vomiting due to pregnancy and you need not worry.
I suggest her to stop taking livogen, as iron also leads to gastritis and vomiting.
She can take Doxinate tablet safely throughout the pregnancy, it has no adverse effect on the fetus or the mother. She should take one tablet each in morning and afternoon, and 2 tablets at the bedtime.
She should also avoid tea and eating fruits empty stomach. She can take a toast or a dry biscuit on waking up, empty stomach.
All these measures will definitely help her to get relieved of the vomiting.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Wishing you both good health.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 27 minutes later
Thank you for the clarification doctor - I have been suggested to take Iron tablets so any alternative for Livogen?

I will follow all the other instructions you have mentioned.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Iron tablets should be stopped completely for few days

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, i am happy to have helped you.
I suggest you to stop taking iron tablets for at least 2-3 weeks completely.
Thereafter, you can restart it again. If your hemoglobin is more than 10 gm/dl, you can stop taking iron tablet for few days safely.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
DR Deepti Verma