Suggest remedy for persistent stomach discomfort

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, my name is XXXXXXX I have been suffering off and on with stomach discomfort for quite some time now. It goes from mild to moderate pain at times. It radiates to my lower back and sometimes worse after a bowel movement. My bowels are normal but at one time found a small trace of blood in my stools. I had a CT scan and they found nothing. My blood work came out good. I seem to go through bouts of bloated, gas and frequent urination that causes the pain too. I get so frustrated as to what to do. I don't take any drugs nor am I on any perscriptions. Please help if you can. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
More diagnostics advisable

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

if a patient with your symptoms and history comes to my office i usually recommend the following:

1.) Ruling out intolerances against gluten, lactose, fructose and sorbitol, to be tested by gp or gastroenterologist.
2.) Blood in the stool can comes just from hemorrhoids, but can also be a sign of inflammatory bowel disease (less likely with normal blood results). If this doesn't go away a colonoskopy is an option to rule out any condition in lower intestines.
3.) Stool sample for Helicobacter pylori, a bacteria in the stomach which could also lead to some of the symptoms you are describing

Hope this diagnostic brings you further to get the appropriate treatment.

Hope this is helping you , if you have any clarificatons you can get back to me, if this was helpful please kindly rate my answer. Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 1 hour later
Dear Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff

What would be causing the frequent urination? They told me my kidneys were working just fine. Awhile back I was retested for H-pylori and it was negative but I have heard it can come back. Thank you for talking with me, I would rate your answers a ten. (that means that it sounds logical to me, the food intolerances sounds right too) that would explain why sometimes it is worse than other times. I was told that I was border line intolerant to glutten.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Frequent urination can be from infection or stress

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

there should be a bladder infection ruled out by urine test/ urine culture. If there is no sign of infection, some people have a nervous bladder which is related to stress. After all, if there will be no more food intolerances or inflammation be found, also your intestinal problems could be stress related or fit an irritative bowel syndrome. In that case, stress reduction and relaxation techniques can help.

Best regards again
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff