Suggest remedy for persistent headache

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: hello...Ive had a persistent headache for a few weeks now...last week it was worse so asked at the chemist and they gave me daytime mersyndol for migraine. I took 3 of in morning and 3 in afternoon, for 2 days - it helped for a short while. It is fine at night - sleeping well - when I wake left eye has been a bit mucky? It is very annoying - as soon as I stand up its yuk again? I don't feel well - I was on Zoloft 50mg a day and for last few months its been changed to sertraline because Zoloft is
not available in Australia until XXXXXXX 2016? Could it be this change? It is not a pounding headache its like its just yuk all over and sore neck - more sore around the top back of neck - it drags me down and I don't have much energy. I am nearly 54 years old, thinking of going to a dr.

thankyou Mrs. XXXXXXX xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Zoloft and Sertraline are the same thing.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Zoloft is one of the trade names of Sertraline, so, basically they are a same thing, and this change isn't the cause of your new complaints.

Whenever there is a change in headaches, especially worsening of symptoms, medical evaluation and probably imaging studies of brain are needed.

So, I recommend you to consult a Neurologist and discuss your concerns.

After the evaluation of your concerns, if there are no serious problems, a modification of the treatment should be considered.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 22 hours later
To Dr. Erion Spaho

Re: headache

Hello ......I asked you yesterday about advice for this queer head ive had for a few weeks now. I said I was on sertraline - it is a different brand to the usual Zoloft brand. Its actually called Sandoz - a generic of Zoloft. I'm just wondering if its made differently and if other people have had any problems with it. I have 50mg a day. Thank you I await your reply

From Mrs. XXXXXXX xxxxxxx

Canberra A.C.T. Australia
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Active ingredient is the same.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

As I mentioned before, Sertraline is the drug you are using, Zoloft is one of the brand names of Sertraline.

Sandoz is probably the manufacturer of the generic Sertraline.

Zoloft (or Sertraline as generic component) is manufactured by Pfizer.

Basically there should be no difference in the active ingredient of both Sertraline generic and Zoloft, and the effects on symptoms should be nearly the same.

Hope I helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar