Suggest remedy for persistent headache after injury

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hello. I hit my right temple while spinning in a child toy 5 days ago. I'm still having a headache as well, it is still sore to the touch. I've tried every OTC med and no relief.
Today I seen my dr. , her dx was migraine. I'm not satisfied and apprehensive to take her meds in the Likelihood there is a possible tmi. I am debating whether to go to my ER as I don't want to think I am overreacting.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should be fine.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I understand that saying you have migraine doesn't seem convincing to you. I don't think it is migraine either, at least not what is defined as migraine in medicine, perhaps your doctor wanted to calm you by suggesting a harmless common cause of headache.

On the other hand I don't think you should panic either. There is not much in your history to suggests any brain injury. Soreness to the touch bears no relation to the brain itself which is inside the skull. It is simply related to the hit to the outside soft tissue, which will heal gradually over a few weeks. I don't think there's much the ER can/will do for that.
Symptoms which might warrant evaluation for brain injury would be progressively increasing or very intense headache, nausea and vomiting, seizures, vision problems, weakness in your limbs on one side, changes noticed in your behavior, confusion.
I am saying that just to make sure though as I doubt any of those will happen. The "danger" period is during the first 24 hours, after 5 days I think you should be safe, especially since you are a young person with I assume no other medical conditions which might affect your coagulation.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist