Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
My baby is 11 months old..be is having watery running nose and dry cough....its been more than 10 days cold is on and off for him ..it goes and after 2 days again it comes ...so its on and off..now again I can see watery discharge from nose wen I m giving ascoril flu prescribed by doc 2.5 ml simultaneously and for dry cough m giving tixilyx 5 ml...3 times times......his appetite is very less....he drinks oly milk and I started with nuzobee lactose free formula as doc advised previously...so that it cant aggrevate....is this fine or any other medicine to be given???
Continue with the same medication
Thanks for asking on this platform
I can understand your concern.
The common cause of cold and cough in this age is some viral infection or allergy.
The ascoril flu contains chlorpheniramine an antiallergic and phenylephrine a decongestant.
Tixylix contains glycerine and it soothes the throat and decreases irritation of cough receptors.
I would like to continue with the same medication.
Give it regularly for 5-7 days even if symptoms subside to avoid the recurrence.Put nasal saline drop if there is nasal blockage due to dried secretions.
Lactose can cause allergic cough and cold.Nusobee is a better choice in case if cough and cold is persistent or recurrent as it is a lactose free formula.
So continue the same and observe for any respiratory distress or deterioration in general condition and if you notice any consult your pediatrician.Try to feed him small amount at frequent intervals.You can assess the adequacy of feed by urine output.The urine output should be at least 3-4 times in 24 hours.Once the cough and cold decreases the appetite will improve.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Wishing for your baby's speedy recovery.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Persistent dry cough wheezing
- Persistent dry cough treatment
- Persistent dry cough for months
- Suggest treatment for persistent dry cough with wheezing
- Persistent dry cough for weeks
- Persistent dry cough and hypothyroidism
- Persistent dry cough remedies
- Persistent dry cough vomiting
- Persistent dry cough symptom
- Persistent dry cough after cold
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting