question-icon

Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child

Posted on Thu, 19 Nov 2015
Question: hello,
My baby is 11 months old..be is having watery running nose and dry cough....its been more than 10 days cold is on and off for him ..it goes and after 2 days again it comes ...so its on and off..now again I can see watery discharge from nose wen I m giving ascoril flu prescribed by doc 2.5 ml simultaneously and for dry cough m giving tixilyx 5 ml...3 times times......his appetite is very less....he drinks oly milk and I started with nuzobee lactose free formula as doc advised previously...so that it cant aggrevate....is this fine or any other medicine to be given???
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar (40 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Continue with the same medication

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern.
The common cause of cold and cough in this age is some viral infection or allergy.
The ascoril flu contains chlorpheniramine an antiallergic and phenylephrine a decongestant.
Tixylix contains glycerine and it soothes the throat and decreases irritation of cough receptors.
I would like to continue with the same medication.
Give it regularly for 5-7 days even if symptoms subside to avoid the recurrence.Put nasal saline drop if there is nasal blockage due to dried secretions.
Lactose can cause allergic cough and cold.Nusobee is a better choice in case if cough and cold is persistent or recurrent as it is a lactose free formula.
So continue the same and observe for any respiratory distress or deterioration in general condition and if you notice any consult your pediatrician.Try to feed him small amount at frequent intervals.You can assess the adequacy of feed by urine output.The urine output should be at least 3-4 times in 24 hours.Once the cough and cold decreases the appetite will improve.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Wishing for your baby's speedy recovery.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology