question-icon

Suggest remedy for persistent cough despite taking Prednisone

Posted on Thu, 19 May 2016
Question: I have had a sinus drip and a croupie cough for two months. I had a steroid shot, then ten day regime of Prednisone and ten days of 1000 mg antibiotic (amoxicylin). I am now on Azelastine 2x day and Montelukast SOD 1x day. Since finishing the first round and starting on the latest dose my condition is as bad as ever.

This happened to me last year and lasted for 3 to 4 months. Horrible coughing day and night.

I am 73 years old in very good condition. Play golf three to four times a week. Help, can't stand it anymore.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Need to rule out sinusitis and lower respiratory tract infections

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Welcome to HCM,

Thanks for posting this query. I have gone through the query and understood your problem. I'll try my best to help you with this.

The symptoms described by you could be related to three conditions:
1. Acute sinusitis
2. Lower respiratory tract infection
3. Acid reflux disease

First of all, you need to get an X-Ray of the paranasal sinuses and the chest to rule out sinusitis and lower respiratory tract infection. Depending upon the investigation findings we need to proceed further. Also, nasal endoscopy can help in ruling out any intranasal issues.

Secondly, try doing steam inhalation 2-3 times in a day and drink plenty of warm water. Also, you can try using saline nasal spray.

Avoid chilled food and bevergares, smoking, coffee, fizzy drinks and oily food.

Thirdly, consult a good internist or a chest physician to rule out lung related issues.

Hope this answers your query. Revert back to me if you have any follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist