Suggest remedy for painful shoulder due to tendon tear

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hello dr i recently had a lt shld mri w/o, showed 2 partial tears rotator cuff tendon, my surgeon is away. it was a five sentence report. 151 views. my arm is burning/pain constant pain down elbow to forearm. when i went for my initial exam with ortho he said i failed the obrien test. and the tech before i left asked if i just had injection which i answered no. could radiologist have missed something very short report not one word my bursa, acromium (cant spell0 what should i do cant sleep arm feels like its hanging on a string. please help.
XXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may need surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam,
I have read your case and it looks to me that your shoulder tendons are torn and it is causing you pain and disability. Technician was asking about XXXXXXX which is used to do MRI arthrogram , but it is not needed all the time.
As far as treatment of this condition is concerned I advised following in my patients.
1. Physiotherapy in form of hot water fomentaion.
2. Pain killers like Brufen, Tramadol can be taken whenever needed.
3. Steroid injection can be given in subacromial space. It provided good pain relief.
4. If above mentioned treatment is not successful then patient might need arthrocopic surgery to repair tendon along with shaving of excess bone from acromian.
I hope these measures will help you. You can ask any followup question. The attachment which you send does not contain any report, so please send it with your followup query.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 17 minutes later
Dr may i ask can radiologist miss something onmri . my pain is increasing. Cant use left arm to drive. And i failed the O'Brien test in office not sure what that meant. And also in response to the injection it was aftet mri she saw fluid andand thought maybe i had steroid injection. My orthopedic wont return till next Tuesday. Just very frustrated hate to go through therapy\injections and then need surgery .thanks for listening im just dont know what direction.
Peace
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is rotator cuff tear

Detailed Answer:
I do not think that MRI is missing something as your complaints and reports are matching. Radiologist has seen on fluid in rotator cuff so she asked about the steroid injection.
Unfortunately treatment includes physio and injections so you have to accept it. If you do not want to prolong it then go for surgery at earliest.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 37 minutes later
Dr thanks so much im 51 female and i think i just might go for surgery if my dr agrees. ill be truthful with u to treat conservative then months down the road i need surgery why wait. it will be more costly and can be done with it. i hope i dont sound to aggressive but i had my rt shoulder done my current dr it was clean up from another surgeon i recovered well and hopefully h e will th think im a good candidate. thank for your time an d p r
professional opinion. now hopefully ins will agee.
regards
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your view. My best wishes with you. I hope you will have a speedy recovery.
Thanks.