Suggest remedy for painful constipation alternating with diarrhea

Dr. Prashant

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I swing between painful constipation and severe diarrhea. I stopped all laxatives 10 days ago - they gave me explosive results - and have been taking, at doctor's advice, one dose of metamucil at day and increasing fiber content of my food. It has helped, but elimination has become harder in past few days. Yesterday, intermittent nausea and abdominal pain. Today, a bowel movement, but took some time. I am drinking a lot of water every day. Should I cut back on the metamucil? I'm afraid without it, I will quickly become impacted.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Prashant 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better continue with metamucil and high fiber contained food.

Detailed Answer:
there is no harm in taking regularly the fiber powder,so dont strain yourself during defecation .
Better continue the fiber containing food and metamucil at bed time if its helpfull for you.
Usually considering your age its very common for symptoms like constipation .
But if its diarrhea then you yourself adjust the dosage of fiber powder accordingly .
Hope this information helps ypu
thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Prashant 19 minutes later
I'm not clear on what you mean - my understanding is metamucil does not cause diarrhea. An alternate question: instead of cutting back on this powder, should I increase it to two dosages a day? And is there a danger in staying on it indefinitely?
To boil it down, I don't know now if it will continue to help or if the pain and nausea are warning signs.
Answered by Dr. Prashant 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can increase the dosage ,there is no problem

Detailed Answer:
am sorry i was not clear enough ,
You can increase the dosage to twice a day there is no problem ,even after increasing the dosage still there is persisting constipation then you can consider PEGRED (it contains poly ethylene glycol)its one of the best for chronic constipation ,even this you can use regularly and later taper according to our stool consistency.
And Some time the fiber powder or any laxatives will cause frequent stools that is more 3 to 4 times a day ,if you are facing these symptoms then try to reduce the dosage or else you can continue to take the fiber as long as its effective.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj