Suggest remedy for pain on the heel of feet

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Im a runner experiencing pain on the bottom of my left heel, on and off for months now. I stopped running for 4 weeks but this time the pain still persists. Unlike plantar fascitis, it increases with walking or running. Ive been wearing a plantar boot at night to stretch the calf and bottom of foot but doesnt seem to be helping. Thoughts?
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to a bony spur.

Detailed Answer:
The pain at the bottom of the left heel that increases on walking and running can be due to a bony spur in the area. This needs an MRI scan to confirm.
The initial treatment is with anti inflammatory medicines with rest and cold fomentation which works fine for most of the patients. Cortisone injection is a good mid to long term treatment.
Exercises also play an important role and I'm afraid they are the only long term mainstay of the treatment. I'm sure you already know but these are few exercises you'll have to do for long time-

1. Calf stretch- Lean forward against a wall with one knee straight and the heel on the ground. Place the other leg in front, with the knee bent. To stretch the calf muscles and the heel cord, push your hips toward the wall in a controlled fashion. Hold the position for 10 seconds and relax. Repeat this exercise 20 times for each foot. A strong pull in the calf should be felt during the stretch.

2. Plantar fascia stretch- This stretch is performed in the seated position. Cross your affected foot over the knee of your other leg. Grasp the toes of your painful foot and slowly pull them toward you in a controlled fashion. The fascia should feel like a tight band along the bottom of your foot when stretched. Hold the stretch for 10 seconds. Repeat it 20 times for each foot.
These exercises are best done in the morning. You also need to understand that with help of medicines, injections and physiotherapy the effects shall be appreciated after a month or so.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: Suggest remedy for pain on the heel of feet 25 minutes later
Thank you for the response. I wanted to add one thing; it also feels numb and swollen as i run. It also occurs after cycling which is zero impact. Could a spur still be the cause?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. Bony spur can cause the inflammation leading to swelling and numbness in the area.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.