Suggest remedy for pain on left side of stomach

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have pain on my lower left side of my stomach everytime I eat or drink anything. I have been dianosed (sp)
with diver ticolus and given antibotics but to no avail. I've also been told I was severely constipated and given meds for that to no avail. The pain is quite severe and no one can tell me what's causing it. I've had a cat scan and x-rays. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
ischemia, irritable bowel, diverticulitis, inflammatory bowel diseases

Detailed Answer:

I've mentioned some potential causes on my brief answer. Let me analyze them further.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a diagnosis of exclusion although some criteria have been developed. IBS can be related to psychological stress and usually fluctuates in intensity from time to time and has symptom-free periods.

Diverticulitis is a diagnosis that requires the presence of diverticula (can be shown on CT or can be seen during conoloscopy). It should get better with antibiotic treatment. In cases with high fever and severe clinical presentation more aggressive measures may have to be adopted. The CT-scan should be diagnostic.

Inflammatory bowel diseases can be diagnosed by their clinical presentation and colonoscopic findings. They are usually accompanied by diarrhea and sometimes fever, increased heart rate etc

Ischemia of the intestine usually refers to the small intestine (pain around the belly button) starting after the meals. Colonoscopy should give diagnostic findings too. The CT scan may have findings too (changes in the intestinal wall and the arteries, exclusion of other diagnoses).

I hope I've helped with the above!
You can contact me again, if you'd like more information. I'll be glad to comment on the test reports as well!

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis