Suggest remedy for pain in upper back and while breathing deeply

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I have had an upper back pain for a few days. It is located in the lower shoulder blade area of my left side. It has gotten better with each day and a little stretching but deep breths are painful. I looked up these symptoms and my only concern is is it something that requires an antibiotic to completely go away?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics, only if there is a focus of infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on your description, unless there is evidence of an infective focus, antibiotics will not be beneficial or needed for that matter. A chest X ray should be advised after examination of your chest/back by your doctor. If there is consolidation that suggests pneumonia, lung abscess or tuberculosis then treatment can be advised accordingly. If the chest X ray is clear and the pain persists then a CT scan of the chest can be advised to have a better idea of the cause. Meanwhile NSAIDs or local nerve block can be advised empirically to prevent atelectasis associated with painful/difficult breathing.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil