Suggest remedy for pain in lower rib area when on Azithromycin for bronchitis

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have early Parkinson's. I caught a bad cold and was prescribed azithromycin for bronchitis and prednisone for the acute pain in my right lower rib area that has no improved for 4days. The pain was severe enough that I went to the ER . It is not much better ,but most cold symtoms are now gone. The pain gets to it's worst level if I try to cough or sneeze. Any ideas ? Thank you BillShelley
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pleurisy is most likely the cause of your pain.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

In my opinion, there are two main possible conditions responsible for your symptoms:

1- most probably your symptoms ( pain especially) are caused by Pleurisy (pleuritis or inflamation of lung coverings), especially if pain is felt in the back of your chest.

2- a less possible condition that may be related to chest pain is Costochondritis, or inflamation to cartilage joints between ribs and sternum, especially if pain is felt is front part of your chest.

Pain related to both these conditions responds good to NSAID drugs treatment (Ibprofen, Naproxen etc. if there are no contradictions about their use).

In addition, pleurisy related pain should improve as infection subsides.

I recommend you to discuss with your treating Doctor about a trial of NSAID treatment about your pain.

Hope this helps. If you have further questions feel free to ask, if not, you can close the conversation and rate the answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 14 hours later
I was probably not very clear in detailing my symtoms. I have no problems taking a deep breath or breathing. I have some residual cold problems, some post nasal drips causing phlegm that I have to take painful attempts to clear. A spontaneous cough or sneeze will put me on my knees with pain. That pain is now migrated to a 6 in spot 8in from my stomach center towards the bottom of my ribs. I cannot pick anything from the floor. I have taken NSAID's and got relief for my cold symtoms but they do nothing for the side pain.

I respect your answer, but I don't think you got the whole story from me. Maybe you could look again and advise. Thank you in advance, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably muscles soreness.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back XXXXXXX

Thanks for the clarifications.

In this case then, most probably the sudden pain you experience during cough or sneeze is related to stomach and diaphragm muscles soreness.

Those muscles are strained continuously by repeated coughing.

Another possibility of stomach and chest muscle soreness is the accumulated lactic acid related to muscle fatigue by excessive cough.

Muscles soreness is relieved by moderate exercises ( in your case respiratory one), hot baths, muscles relaxing drugs (Thiocolchicoside), use of Arginine.

Hope I helped you. Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical