Ask a Dentist   »  

Suggest remedy for pain in cheek bone

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - July 2014
July 2014

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Question
my left jaw/cheek bone below my ear hurts when I open my mouth or when I chew from left side. It feels like the bone is not settled back proerly after a movement. It started yesterday morning and continues even now. What do you advise ?
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
TMJ dosorder, piroxicam, splints

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as the pain is concerned the possible cause for pain below the ear and discomfort during jaw movements is disc displacement of the TMJ or retrodiscitis.This can result secondary to trauma to the joint, malocclusion, grinding teeth during night time and stress.
Consult a oral physician and get a radiograph like TMJ view and MRI done to see the bony and soft tissue changes and confirm the diagnosis.
If i am your treating doctor I would have suggested you to take tablet piroxicam 20mg twice daily for first day and once daily for next 6days(if you are not allergic). Do not eat hard things, take soft diet, do not open your jaw too wide.
A soft splint can also be given.lead a stress free life. Give hot fomentation over the joint, that reduces the pain.
i hope my answer will help you, take care.
If any queries are there reply me back.