Suggest remedy for pain and swelling in lower ribs

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: 33 year old generally healthy female. Continuous pain and swelling over lower left rib area below armpit twards the back. No breathing issues but extreme tenderness around where a bra would sit. No physical deformity. Any ideas? It seems very much so muscle related but its slowly gotten worst ovr the past year.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
local myositis or rib periosteal blunt injury

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to healthcare magic.com for an opinion,
the very fact that the pain and swelling is present over the left sided rib area in the mid axillary line below the bra strap area, which has increased over time indicates a possible local blunt injury or a local myositis. There is absence of fever, hence its not an infection but a probable local muscle or periosteal injury to the rib which is causing the pain which is continuous.
In either case an X-ray chest lateral and AP view is advisable to look for any bony insult else local examination for hyperaesthesia or muscle soreness may need to be done. yoU MAY USE ICE PACKS to soothen the pain and swelling and opt for NSAIDS for pain relief.
But that doesn't replace a visit to your physician for a local examination.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,
wishing you good health,
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 13 minutes later
Thank you for your response. i do have osteoarthritis and spinal stenosis of the low back could this play a factor? There is no history of trauma in the area but mild soft tissue swelling and extreme tenderness. I also have a desk job and work on a computer a lot which causes strain in my upper back. Thanks again for your assistance.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up,
i would say it is unlikely for osteoarthritis or spinal stenosis to cause just a localised pain and swelling ( not characteristic of spinal stenosis). I would still like to go with a local insult in form of either injury or constant pressure of may be a brassiere hook pressing at one particular point all the time, leading to local soreness.
Again desk job and poor posture can cause upper back strain but not localised swelling , so it is advisable that an X-ray would be mandatory anyways and in the meantime you may use the supportive treatment as advised.
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist