• question-icon

Suggest remedy for pain and burning sensation in mouth after ingesting Harpic

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: I drink harpic but fully not go inside in mouth only little second i vomit that fully single drop went mouth only pain and burn
Answered by Dr. Rishi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please rinse your mouth with water and cool milk.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.

Harpic contains strong acid (Hydrochloric acid) which can serious injury to the foodpipe (oesophagus) and stomach if ingested. Since you have not ingested it is unlikely that you should suffer any serious injury. But there could be some damage in your mouth to your oral mucosa. You can do rinsing of your mouth with water and cool milk. This should help. But do not take the contents of the rinse inside and spit all out so that there is no residual Harpic entering your body.

You should see a Gastroenterologist to ensure your stomach and oesophagus have not taken any damage. If there is severe pain then please see a Doctor who can give you a pain killer injection and examine you as it is not advicsable to take any oral medications presently.
Take care and happy fast recovery.
Do let me know if there are any other queries.

Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 1 hour later
Pansac antibiotics injection only mouth affected no stomach pain
Answered by Dr. Rishi 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is on right lines. All the best.

Detailed Answer:
Good to hear from you.
The treatment is fine. Continue the same for 3 to 5 days. Also good to know that there is no stomach pain. You can convert to oral antibiotics and oral Pantoprazole twice a day on empty stomach after 3 days. You will need to continue Pantoprazole for at least 15 to 20 days. Antibiotics can be stopped after 5 days.
You should recover fast.
Take care and all the very best.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon