Suggest remedy for pain after spine surgery

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 21 Jan 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Daughter had spine surgery 3 weeks ago. Started to feel great and is now experiencing a lot of pain. Does the incision look infected? No discharge but a bit puffy and red at the top.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems that there is some fluid collection inside, it can be infected.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Is the pain localized to the wound or it can be sensed deeper? Does she have any spine pains?

This wound looks like there is some fluid collection inside. It might be infected. Typical wound infection symptoms are redness, pain and fever. It should be also warmer than the rest of the body.
The reason for fluid collection is usually bleeding caused by surgery. Such bleeding could appear right after the surgery so the fluid could be there for 3 weeks. It is also possible that the stitches are getting rejected from the wound.

I suggest her to visit a doctor. Soft tissues ultrasound should be done to see if there is any fluid. If so, the fluid should be drained and antibiotics given.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj