Suggest remedy for optic nerve damage

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 2 Dec 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Told that I have Optic Nerve damage. Can my sight be saved with some type of treatment?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It depends upon the cause of Nerve damage

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic!

Based on the history you have shared, regarding being told about optic nerve damage, the prognosis or outcome will depend upon the cause which have lead to it. In your past history you used the word pressures so it seems that in your case, suspicion would have been made based on some pre - existing high intraoccular pressures or glaucoma. Now it all depends upon to keep pressures in check with use of appropriate treatments. Like for different types of glaucoma bet blockers, steroids or diuretics are given and it may cause reversibility of damage upto a certain limit.

If damage is due to anatomical detachment or some direct trauma to the nerves, it reversibility is difficult and prognosis isn't good.

If it is due to inflammation of optic nerve due to infective or autoimmune causes or due to systemic diseases or neurological diseases like MS, the reversibility depends the treatment of the primary disease.

Simple measures which may help:

Keep using supplements for vitamin A, B1, B6, B12 and D3.

Keep eye pressures in control with repeated followup with your ophthalmologist.

Discuss options of topical or systemic steroids with your opthamologist.

Hoping you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina