Suggest remedy for mood swings after stopping Prozac

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: my new doctor took me off my 60 mgs of Prozac all at once and I am having trouble coping with everything what should I do . I cry and then I will get angry and snap at people or animals I don't like myself right now not sure how much longer I can go without meds.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Talk to your doctor about how you feel!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about the way you were taken off this medication and how terrible you are feeling at this time.

He should have slowly reduced the dose and introduce therapy before stopping the medication. An abrupt stop from antipsychotic agents is never the best plan. I will suggest that your report your symptoms to him after going off this medication. This will call for re-evaluaton of his decision to stop and may get you back on this medication.

In all, talk to him and hope he gets to put you back on his medications and wean you off over time while introducing therapy progressively.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.