question-icon

Suggest remedy for magnesium deficiency

Posted on Mon, 1 Jun 2015
Question: I have a magnesium deficiency. Been hospitalized twice since having my Gall Bladder out in January, First hospitalization Magnesium was .4. I taking Slow-Mag Magnesium Chloride, four with each meal and aMILoride HCL 5 mg-4 per day. I can't get it above 1.6. My urine is full of magnesium. Am I doing all I can?
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No problem

Detailed Answer:
magnesium ( Mg) deficiency at this age mostly due to drugs and nutritional deficiency and rarely due to genetic disorders which require a long term replacement therapy. in ICU setup , it would be due to sepsis. otherwise it's not a common condition alone. it may be associated with hypokalemia( low potassium condition) and you should also be evaluated for low potassium as the replacement of which only would correct low Mg in the body. nutritional deficiencies due to malabsorptions etc also can lead to such a situation which can be due to several conditions associated with these phenomenon. I feel that you should be thouroughly evaluated as s systemic disorder but other wise, tears my is simple snd can be treated easily with supplementation and all care items of fruits and coconut water has plants of Mg in them and you can take them
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju

Nephrologist