Suggest remedy for lump on the gums

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Wed, 6 May 2015 in Dental Health
Question: My problem is with my gums. I noticed that in the gum right above my upper left incisor, there seems to be a lump or protrusion under the gums or perhaps in the gums. The only discoloration is a small white area, which feels like any other gum surface, and turns red if I press on it, just like other gum tissue. It doesn't hurt, is not bleeding. If I press on the gum hard enough it disappears for a bit, but then returns. It doesn't feel like anything is in there.

Is this something to be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
periodontal abscess, irritational fibroma, scaling, surgical excision

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, I have gone through your query.
As far as the lump over the gums is concerned, i have the following possibility. It can be a periodontal abscess secondary gum infection because of deposits over the teeth. The other possible cause can be irritational fibroma or peripheral oscifying fibroma(benign lesions occurs secondary to chronic irritation).
Nothing to be panic, consult a oral physician and get it evaluated. If it is because of the gum infection, you need get scaling done. If it is a fibroma, then it can be surgically removed.
These are the possible diagnosis and treatment plan based on your description. If you can upload the images i can give you the exact diagnosis,
I hope my answer will help you, take care. If any queries are there, reply me back

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj