Suggest remedy for lump in middle of sternum

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 28 Dec 2015 in Lump
Question: I am a 48 yr old female. I have had a lump on my left bottom rib cage that has now grown to extend over to the middle of my sternum, and also I feel a hard area in my abdomen just under my ribcage. My Dr. first said months ago that he thought it was a lipoma. I recently went back and he thought it had grown to much to be lipoma. I had a CT scan and the report stated that there was minimal atelectasis in the lung bases. Also, a 6.9 mm indeterminate lesion in the central left hepatic lobe. I was sick with a chest cold at the time of the CT scan. Report states that this could indicate a cyst or hemangioma. it also states that should consider further evaluation. My Dr. however wants to just "wait and see" and seems convinced that it is a cyst. I am considering a second opinion. what are your thoughts? I would not think that a cyst or whatever this small would cause the distention that I can clearly see and feel.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Few options

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, welcome to HCM

Firstly I don't think that this palpable subcutaneous lump is related to your liver.

This sounds to me like lipoma, fibroma or some other soft tissue benign lesion. However it is strange that it wasn't described on ct scan if this is obviously palpable under the skin.

I suggest to find radiologist who will re-evaluate this CT image and define is there any lesion at area of lump and pain.

7mm liver cyst is minor size and risk of malignancy is negligible. For this type of lesion it is recommended only to have ultrasound follow ups every 6 months.

Only test more accurate than CT would be MRI in this case but I don't think it is necessary.
Such cysts are most common hemangiomas or adenomas and there is no way that this size can cause any symptoms.

Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 30 minutes later
CT scan was ordered for the abdomen. Is it possible that the scan did not go high enough to see the area of the lump and pain?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Yes it is possible, although usually it reaches lower part of thorax as well but you should ask doctor for it.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj