Suggest remedy for lump in breast

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Lump
Question: hi doctor, i was examining my breasts and came across a biggish lump in the left one. it feels like the granular tissue but a lot bigger. i generally have lumpy breasts any ways. it doesnt feel completely abnormal to the rest it just lot bigger than all my other lumps. it is smooth to touch and not hard and bumpy, im scared
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound has to be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

You should not be scared, however it can not be left alone either. No one is able to tell what kind of lump it is without an ultrasound (and biopsy in some cases). That is why the only thing you should do at this point, is to consult your doctor, have breasts ultrasound and biopsy if necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
what would a cancerous lump feel like? will i wait til after my period to have it checked to see if it changes or will i go asap?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Early breast cancer tumor can be similar to benign.

Detailed Answer:
Generally early breast cancer lump is very similar to benign tumor. So it is impossible to distinguish cancerous and noncancerous tumor by palpation. Only advanced tumor is usually hard, non-mobile with uneven surface. But this happens when it affects chest wall.
I suggest you to have an ultrasound done as soon as possible. Most likely its just a cyst or other benign tumor. But it has to be checked.