Suggest remedy for lower back pain and high SGPT levels

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hello Doctor,

I have just got a blood test done with key results as follows

Triglycerides - 375, Cholesterol - 204, HDL - 35, LDL - 94, SGOT - 56, SGPT- 89, Creatinine - 0.8, vitamin B12- 171 and 25 Hydroxy Vitamin D - 9.42. I had numbness in my right hand few days back also have lower back pain while sleeping (early morning, after 4-5 hours of rest).

Please analyze the report and guide.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Increased SGPT is due to altered lipid profile

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your reports in detail.
Increased SGPT indicates liver injury.
Increase in SGPT may be due to many reasons like hepatitis,alcohol intake,altered lipid profile,medicines,auto immune causes etc.
In your case increased SGPT is due to altered lipid profile.
Increased SGOT is non specific and it increases in many conditions.
You need proper clinical examination.

You need few more investigations like random blood sugar(RBS),renal function test(RFT),viral markers,complete liver function test,urine RE/ME.
You also need Ultrasound of abdomen and prothrombin time (PT).
Please get at least ultrasound of abdomen done.Ultrasound of abdomen is important to know the condition of liver.

You should also increase your physical activity in the form of exercise,walking and avoid fatty and fried food.
You should avoid red meat and high fat milk products.
Cook food in olive or canola oil and take limited salt in your diet.
Take lot of fruits and vegetables.You are rightly advised to quit smoking and alcohol.
You can also do meditation and yoga.It will help you a lot.
Don't take stress in life.You will be fine.

For conditions like you, I suggest my patients to take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg twice daily for three months. It help in regeneration of liver cells.
Patient should also take vitamin B complex capsules once daily.

I also suggest to take combination tablet atorvastain 10 mg and fenofibrate 160 mg at night after dinner.It will correct lipid profile.

You also have low vitamin D and B12 level.
You are taking right medicines.You should take it regularly.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX