Suggest remedy for low libido in a 60 year old

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Sexual Health
Question: I am 60 yo this year
I've lost interest in sex over the last 18 months
This is a problem, as i have a young girlfriend who wants children
I've also been caring for my 92 yo mother with Althzeimers for the last 2-3 years
This is very stressful
I've also lost motivation to exercise, which is unusual for me as I've always been very active,
Im worried our relationship will suffer and would like to know if there is any treatment I could get which would help treat or even reverse this situation so I can have a normal sexlife and feel more motivated again.
Many of my friends still have a high libido and are still physically active.
Thanks for any advice you may have.
regards
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question.

I'm hearing that for the last 18 months your libido has decreased in the setting of the stress of caring for your mother who is ill, also with loss of interest in exercise which you previously did frequently.

I have a couple thoughts. First, it may be that you are depressed, which can be characterized by loss of interest in previously enjoyable things (exercise), low energy, and loss of libido. Treatment for this would be an antidepressant (such as Wellbutrin, which has a lower risk of sexual side effects) and/or psychotherapy. Second, it may be that your loss of libido is simply related to increased stress in your life, and further worsened by the fear that you will disappoint your girlfriend and your relationship will suffer. The best thing to do for this would be to simply discuss this with your girlfriend. If she loves you, which it sounds like she does, she should be open to discussing your concerns in a non-judgmental way, and work with you to think about ways to decrease stress in your life and to spice things up in the bedroom. Third, sometimes medications such as Viagra or Cialis can be useful for stimulating libido in men, even men who do not have difficulty obtaining an erection.

I recommend consulting with a doctor and bringing up my suggestions. Whether talking to your girlfriend, therapy, medication, or some combination of these is ultimately suggested, I have confidence you can feel better.

For a more comprehensive evaluation and answer, ask me on HealthCareMagic at the private link below: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar