Suggest remedy for loose motion in children

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: in continuation to earlier topic regarding minerals daughter-

we have given her syrup for vomitting as told in previous clarification.

but as of day she is undergoing loose motion .since sunday we have stopped cow milk and gave her some teaspoonfull of coconut water
please suggest which syrup should be given for stop loose motion
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probiotics....

Detailed Answer:
It would have been better if you posted more details about loose stools
1. How many episodes did she have since yesterday?
2. Is it watery stools or semiformed stools?
3. Did you notice blood or mucous in the stool?
4. Is she running fever?
5. Has she passed urine?
6. Is she active otherwise?

These details will help me assess her symptomatically and direct you towards appropriate treatment.

At the moment, I will recommend starting probiotic like enterogermina. This comes in a respule which can be directly fed to the child. It can be given twice or thrice a day for 2-3 days. Along with probiotics I will encourage to give her oral rehydration fluids which can be prepared easily at home.

Coconut water is good. You can continue with it as and when required.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 44 minutes later
Reply :

1. 3
2. both
3.no blood
4. no fever
5. yes
6. active
Answered by Dr. Prasad 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing serious...

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for updating. Her symptoms doesn't appear severe. Since she is active and has passed urine she is unlikely to be dehydrated. It should settle down with the probiotics that I suggested.

Encourage her to drink fluids and rehydration mixture (ORS). Continue feeding her with weaning food. Preferably avoid cow's milk for now. You can restart with diluted cow milk after couple of weeks.

Since her symptoms are mild, I wouldn't be concerned. Keep a watch on her progress. I would advise you to visit her pediatrician if the loose stools worsen in frequency or if she develops fever / becomes inactive.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 32 minutes later
THANKS !!!
Which food can we give her.

and any specific syrup?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Weaning food...

Detailed Answer:
At seven months, she should be started on weaning food while gradually withdrawing from exclusive breast milk feeding. One food at a time is the right way to start weaning. You can choose softly mashed rice with mashed dal / potatoes, rice / millet (ragi) gruel, softly mashed apples and fruits. Other food can be added gradually.

As discussed in my previous answer, I would prefer to withdraw cow's milk for now. We can restart it in diluted proportion say after couple of weeks when the current diarrheal episodes stops. If there is a need, you can start topup feeds such as similac or pronan stage 2 or lactogen instead.

As far as medication is concerned, you may continue to use ondansetron as suggested if she has vomiting spells.
And probiotic - ENTEROGERMINA thrice a day. Your pharmacist will know about this enterogermina.

Hope I am clear. Let me know if you need clarifications.