Suggest remedy for lethargy in an elderly person

Dr. Muhammad Ahmad

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: 78 year old on blood thinners. Experiencing extreme lethargy. Full feeling in sinuses. Has had TIA over a year ago
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Flu or a sinus infection can cause lethargy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for wiritng to Health Care Magic I am Dr.Muhammad Ahmad I have read your questioj closely and understand your concerns I will answer you question to alleviate your concerns.

These type of symptoms are usually shown in flu or upper respiratory tract infection.
They dont really have to do with your blood thinners. To help you in a better way I would like you to answer a few related question.

1) Are you having any fkye symptoms?
2) Any old sinus issues?
3) Any head aches?
4) Any feeling of blocked ear?
5) Any ferver?

I am waiting for your input.
Regards.
Dr.Muhammad Ahmad
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 16 minutes later
No to questions 1,3,4,5
2: sinus feeling full, some mild dizziness
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Here are a few things you can do

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back,
It is always advised to consult your doctor if some new symptoms of fatigue and lethargy develope and don't get better within a couple of weeks or keep getting worsened with time.

If your sinuses feel heavy or clogged up you doctor might want to run some tests like Xray PNS to confirm if there is anything in the sinuses.

Here are a few measures which you can take for your lethargy.
1) Take steam inhalation this softens up the blocking material and opens up the sinus.
2) Warm compresses over the heavy area will relieve the congestions.
3) You can use Exederin with caffeine to relieve lethargy malaise and pain if any.
4) Warm drinks help too.
5) Taking oral decongestants like Alegra-D can always be considered.

These measured can help you much, if things dont get better in a week or so, I would suggest you to see your doctor and get a thorough checkup.

I hope this answered your questions If you have more I am happy to answer you.

Regards.
Dr XXXXXXX Ahmad.
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 1 minute later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
The pleasure is all mine

Detailed Answer:
hi,
It's my pleasure to have helped you.
Stay blessed Have a great Weekend.
Regards.
Dr.Muhammad XXXXXXX