Suggest remedy for lesion on tongue

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Four days ago I noticed a tongue lesion on the right side of my tongue. It has grown over the past couple days but appears less ulcerative then when first noticed. I visited a primary care physician who referred me to a ENT. The ENT informed me he believed it was from a viral infection and no treatment was needed. I had a sinus infection a month prior and completed a ten day course of Amoxicillin. Could this possibly be fungal? The ENT didn't believe any tests were needed. He completed a fiberoptic laparoscopy for ongoing hoarseness I have due to acid reflux but other then that was not concerned about my tongue at all. Should I seek out a second opnion?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably Viral, no need for a second opinion at this time!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this lesion on your tongue and all the inconveniences this must have caused you. I have reviewed this information fully as well as the attached images(3) and there is no reason to be too alarmed. Like your doctor suggested, this looks like a viral infection and requires no specific measures to address it. Healing is often spontaneous with no need for antibiotics. There is also no need for an immediate second opinion. I will say, be calm and only go forward to seek further attention if this lesions fails to significantly get better within 7-10days, which is very unlikely.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.