Suggest remedy for itchy red rash on underarms

Dermatologist
Question
Developed a rash on both underarms, and now spreading to chest. They're red bumps that itch but aren't painful. I've been using hydro-cortisone until a week ago where I started using a prescribed steroid cream. I'm thinking it has to do with being in Ketosis, but I don't know. It was going away until I played basketball the other day and it's flared up big time. What can I do?
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
? tinea , pictures requested

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting on HCM.
Its very difficult to point specific diagnosis in absence of clinical examination.Still from the history and description you have given, I think you got a fungal skin infection called Tinea.
Therefore, I insist you to post good clinical pictures to me so I can make perfect diagnosis and thus help you in a better way.
You can send pictures to email id - YYYY@YYYY with the title 'ATTN Dr Hardik Pitroda'.
Once I will review the pictures, I will get back to you asap.
Thanks
Dr Hardik Pitroda

Follow-up: Suggest remedy for itchy red rash on underarms 20 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.

Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral antihistaminics

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for uploading the pictures.
From keen review, its looks like you are having episodes of urticaria or hives, a kind of allergic skin eruption.
It can occur after any infection, food or drug intake etc
Thus, I would advise you to consult a dermatologist for better management.
The best treatment is to avoid the offending allergen. To find the possible allergen I believe in taking thorough history and would run some basic investigations.
Usually,for treatment I advise a long term (3-4 month) course of various antihistaminics with or without corticosteroids.
For faster relief mild hydrocortisone cream can be applied over rash but still the antihistaminics remain the main treatment.
Also, in certain non-responding cases various other medications like dapsone, montelukast, cyclosporine, omalizumab can be tried.
Hope the answer was useful.
Let me know if you have any more doubts.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda